Why hire me?
I enjoy the nuts and bolts of graphic design, helping take vague ideas and turn them into concrete designs, so I'm totally hands-on in getting things done. I have experience working with internal audiences as well as partners and end users. My history runs the gamut from being with Fortune 500 companies, to startups, and a non-profit.
With 15 years’ work experience under my belt, I bring a lot to the table. I have a great understanding of Print media, I'm solid on video editing, and have some background in web, including basic HTML and CSS. Of course, I know my way around the MS Office Suite and can work on both Mac and PC.
I have a strong background in the Tech industry, B2B, SMB, partner-based, and cloud technology companies. I've also done work for direct to consumer. Look for the names McAfee, Intel, and Cisco in my background, as well as ShaneCo. If you need someone who can design brochures, edit videos, create emails, and make your presentations look awesome, I am your guy.
● Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere, After Effects, Dreamweaver)
● MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
● Print design (fliers, brochures, business cards, banners, t-shirts, etc.)
● Web design (ad banners, HTML emails, landing pages)
● Video editing (including motion graphics)
● Photo manipulation / retouch
● Marketing Automation tools (experience with Manticore and ActOn)
● Logo and branding development
● Trade show and event graphics
● Voice over
● BA in Communications from Lee University in Cleveland, TN. Magna Cum Laude
● Member of Lambda Pi Eta, National Communications Honor Society
Pax8: Creative Services Manager
(December 2013 - present) Pax8 is a tech startup that focuses on cloud tech distribution through a Channel model. When I came on board, they were outsourcing everything at a huge cost and facing long lead times. I quickly became a johnny-on-the-spot and was a great resource for all things with pixels.
One of my favorite accomplishments was the trade show booth. It had a modular design, was highly portable, and featured a cool video element that I designed instead of hard-printed text. I was able to customize it per event and it got a lot of great attention. I had a short stint as an independent contractor while the company went through startup transitions, but was brought back after 8 months.
Freelancer, including on-site contract work with ShaneCo
(June 2013 - December 2013) I did a fair bit of freelancing between jobs, including trade show design and video work, but most of my efforts were with ShaneCo in their Marketing Department. Direct to consumer in a "lifestyles" type industry was totally new to me, but I jumped in. For the most part, I did direct email, but I also did some in-store graphics. My work was very well-liked, though it wasn't a permanent job, so I moved on.
KBZ Communications: Creative Services Manager
(January 2012 – June 2013) I joined KBZ, a Cisco Master Distributor, to help rebrand the company and build up a properly functioning design arm of the newly minted Marketing team. A 25-year-old company, KBZ had never had a Marketing team, but was looking to push out into deeper waters and knew they needed a dedicated team to help them get there.
This was my first job ever where things ended on a bad note. I mostly blame that on it being a remote team where miscommunications were bound to flare up and were never addressed.
Roles and Responsibilities
● Create material for Sales and Engineering teams (print & digital collateral)
● Trade show material, including a brand new booth design
● Layout and design for mass emails
● Understanding our CRM (Manticore) to keep in touch with partners
● Meet Cisco brand guidelines for distis
● Helped lead a company-wide rebrand (new brochures, sales material, PPT templates, the lot of it)
● Created a new trade show booth (a 2-story monster!)
● Redesigned 100% of sales and marketing print deliverables
MX Logic / McAfee: Senior Designer / Web & Print Designer
(March 2008-December 2011) MX Logic was a leading provider of email filtering and web-based internet security services. My role involved doing a lot of the "hands on" of the design process by executing on design concepts for print, web, trade show, and video projects. Later acquired by McAfee, I was kept on until they went through major layoffs in our division.
Roles and Responsibilities
● Shot and edited product overview videos
● Designed trade show booths and banners
● Created SMB-focused postcards and web marketing materials
● Fill co-branding requests for partners
● Assist with web maintenance needs
● Re-designed our set of corporate communication sales slicks
● Designed a number of promotional postcards for co-branding by partners
● Designed a new Partner Portal GUI
● Conceptualized and edited a very well-received quarterly video, to McAfee worldwide
● Awarded 2 Denver Office Bravo! Awards, nominated by my peers
● Received a McAfee Bravo! award for outstanding efforts
Life Center Ministries, Inc.: Multimedia Director
(June 1999-March 2008) Life Center is a non-profit in the Atlanta area that holds multiple conferences and events throughout the year, drawing from a nation-wide base. As Media Director my responsibilities included day to day web and print production (including a weekly mini-magazine) and promotion of events. As such, I handled the creative work, juggled multiple projects, and kept production costs down. I managed a small team of volunteers and one full-time subordinate.
Roles and Responsibilities
● Responsible for keeping costs down and meeting advertising deadlines
● Managed advertising to increase event registration
● Managed the hiring process for outside vendors and in-house creative professionals
● Instrumental in the event planning process, including brand and budget
● Established a corporate brand identity
● Created and executed branding campaigns for numerous sub-organizations and events
● Created a weekly newsletter the size of a small magazine
● Took over Media Duplication, resulting in high efficiency and profitability ($12K, annually)